freetds - Re: [freetds] Begginer question aboutbinding parameterswith placeholders

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <james.k.lowden AT alliancebernstein.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Begginer question aboutbinding parameterswith placeholders
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 10:12:49 -0400

Methinks I detect a misunderstanding....

FreeTDS includes an ODBC driver, licensed LGPL. You can use it with or
without a Driver Manager (DM). Two popular DMs exist: iODBC and unixODBC.
They are IIRC licensed BSD and GPL respectively, both free software in my
book. ;-)

> I must use the tds protocol
> to exchange data with the database server and no other protocol.

When you use the FreeTDS ODBC driver, you are communicating with the server
via TDS, just as you do with the other FreeTDS libraries. That is, whether
you use FreeTDS with DBD::ODBC or with DBD::Sybase, the server sees almost no
difference. (The difference is a single bit in the login packet.)

Regarding placeholders, the different APIs make different demands on the
server and underlying library, libtds.

The ct-lib placeholder functionality requires SQL parsing, which Sybase
provides to the driver from the server. FreeTDS ct-lib placeholders won't
work on Microsoft servers unless and until FreeTDS (or Microsoft) adds that
feature. You and I may be old and gray before that happens, but one never
knows. Getting placeholders to work for Sybase servers is a more
straightforward task, just not something anyone's volunteered for yet.

The ODBC placeholder functionality works now because it doesn't have the same
requirements. That's not too surprising, given that Microsoft promulgated
the ODBC standard and supports it on its own servers.

> Nevertheless, my problem is now resolved : I don't use placeholders
> anymore. ;-)

That's perfectly fine, of course. I never use placeholders myself, and I
don't particularly like the ODBC API. But it *does* offer placeholders, and
they do work! At least most of the time....

Regards,

The information contained in this transmission may be privileged and
confidential and is intended only for the use of the person(s) named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent
responsible
for delivering this message to the intended recipient, any review,
dissemination,
distribution or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
you are
not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately by reply
e-mail
and destroy all copies of the original message. Please note that we do not
accept
account orders and/or instructions by e-mail, and therefore will not be
responsible
for carrying out such orders and/or instructions. If you, as the intended
recipient
of this message, the purpose of which is to inform and update our clients,
prospects
and consultants of developments relating to our services and products, would
not
like to receive further e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply"
to the
sender indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New
York,
NY 10105.

  • Re: [freetds] Begginer question aboutbinding parameterswith placeholders, Lowden, James K, 06/09/2006