freetds - [freetds] CentOS - odbc.ini driver value?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Rich Young" <rich AT experienceplus.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] CentOS - odbc.ini driver value?
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 15:45:23 -0600

Hi, everyone,

I've got a fresh freeTDS 0.63 installation (from source) on CentOS 4.3
that's working fine with tsql, but isql chokes because it can't find the
driver.

[01000][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Can't open lib '/usr/lib/libtdsodbc.so'
: /usr/lib/libtdsodbc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

Indeed, there's no such file - I copied this setting from the Fedora
server I'm replacing. But locate (freshly updated) turns up no
libtdsodbc.so filenames anywhere. The closest I'm able to find is
/usr/lib/libodbc.so or /usr/lib/libtdssrv.so, but those produce a
different error:

[IM004][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Driver's SQLAllocHandle on
SQL_HANDLE_HENV failed
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

Googling that error indicates that it comes from trying to use the wrong
driver....

/etc/odbcinst.ini contains a clue:

[root@backup etc]# more odbcinst.ini
# Example driver definitinions
#
#

# Included in the unixODBC package
[PostgreSQL]
Description = ODBC for PostgreSQL
Driver = /usr/lib/libodbcpsql.so
Setup = /usr/lib/libodbcpsqlS.so
FileUsage = 1

# Driver from the MyODBC package
# Setup from the unixODBC package
#[MySQL]
#Description = ODBC for MySQL
#Driver = /usr/lib/libmyodbc.so
#Setup = /usr/lib/libodbcmyS.so
#FileUsage = 1

There's no mention of FreeTDS in here - did my install (which was from
source) fail to find unixODBC and thus fail to add the necessary
unixODBC driver? If so, what is my next step? Do I need to redo the
build from ./configure with the
--with-unixodbc=DIR
switch on? (And how do I know what to tell it for the value of DIR?)

Thanks for any help y'all can provide,

-Rich Young