freetds - Re: [freetds] Charset question

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT dodds.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Charset question
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 17:55:32 -0700

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 11:40:39AM -0400, James K. Lowden wrote:
> Frediano Ziglio wrote:

> > > Meanwhile, I tried to find the source your package was built from.

> > http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/dapper/libs/libct3

> Bingo! I assume you saw this, and other parts:

> +#ifdef HAVE_NL_LANGINFO
> + if ((s = nl_langinfo(CODESET))) {
> + if (locale->char_set) free(locale->char_set);
> + if (locale->client_charset) free(locale->client_charset);
> + locale->client_charset = strdup(s);
> + locale->char_set = strdup(s);
> + }
> + if ((s = nl_langinfo(D_T_FMT))) {
> + if (locale->date_fmt) free(locale->date_fmt);
> + locale->date_fmt = strdup(s);
> + }
> +#endif

> This lets LC_LANG & friends override locales.conf. Another part of the
> patch (to src/tds/mem.c) initializes client_charset from whatever came out
> of locale.c.

> I think I recognize Steve's patch?

Yeah, this is the Bad version of the patch that shipped in sarge as well. :/
The only chance to fix this for Dapper is probably to ask the Ubuntu
maintainer to pull the patch, since the freeze for Dapper is upon us; for
etch and for Dapper+1 I'd like to see freetds 0.64 released with the fixed
version of the locale patch that I proposed on the list.

I'll talk to Adam Conrad and see if we can get this fixed up yet for Dapper.

> > Mainly debian package. I'm thinking about a merge for debian charset
> > code before final 0.64... what do you think about ?

> I don't think we should include it in 0.64. It's too new. This thread is
> an example of why not.

This thread is an example of the bugs in the old version of the patch which
I shipped due to a judgement lapse. The revised patch corrects this
Specialness, so I hope it can still be considered for 0.64. At the very
least, adding client_charset to the tds locale struct, so further
fiddling/experimentation/enhancement is possible without breaking the ABI,
would be appreciated.

vorlon AT debian.org http://www.debian.org/