freetds - Re: [freetds] Charset question

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Charset question
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:27:35 -0400

jack brack wrote:
> >> If I run
> >> unset LANG
> >> then the login is attempted with ANSI_X3.4-1968:
> > IIRC, you're running this under PHP with sybase extensions, using
> > ct-lib. I wonder if something in the ct-lib initialization overrides
> > your settings somehow. To find out, I'd like to try a few other ways,
> > to see if we can isolate the module that's insisting on UTF-8.
> >
> > Please use TDSDUMP with:
> >
> > tsql
> > bsqldb
> > src/ctlib/unittests/t0001.c
>
> I don't have these installed. I'm using the Ubuntu Dapper, which goes
> stable in six weeks.
>
> I could install these from source, but then I wouldn't be using the
> supported package (we chose Ubuntu Dapper because of the 5 year support
> life).

So, first things first, we need to know if what's happening on your
machine is local to your installation or the effect of something in your
ubuntu distribution.

If you would, please install from source and try the above experiments. I
suggest you use a weird --prefix option e.g. $(HOME)/tmp/freetds, so you
can delete it later. I predict that both the 0.63 release and 0.64rc2
will not log in as utf-8. (It's always good to have an hypothesis.)

Meanwhile, I tried to find the source your package was built from. Can
you help me? I went here:

http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/dapper/gnome/gda2-freetds
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libg/libgda2/libgda2_1.2.2.orig.tar.gz

but these don't seem to have the FreeTDS sources or a diff (if any).

I really can't spare the time to hack on this right now, but if you
provoke me sufficiently I might have to anyway. ;-)

BTW, something to consider vis a vis the "5 year support life". I have no
argument with your choice, except that I don't really understand what
"support" means in the context of 3rd party software. Whatever support we
provide is nearly always based on the most recent release or even nightly
snapshot. So, if you have a FreeTDS issue, you may be placed in the
position of needing to go outside the ubuntu packages. Just something to
factor into your plans. Besides, I hope you'll find that FreeTDS improves
considerably as the years go by, and that you will *want* to upgrade
sometime between now and 2011.

Regards,