freetds - Re: [freetds] server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com.au>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] server
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 19:42:48 +1100

> I can confirm that server code is quite not maintained. Last year we
did
> some updates in order to accommodate Steve Kirkendall work (he did a
> small driver for his db). It was designed with the idea to help
testing
> however was too hard to maintain in sync with driver development
> (current drivers support a lot of feature like rpc, dynamic sql and so
> on that are difficult to implement in server).
> If you feel useful for you please post any update. I think that you
> should avoid latest protocols (tds 5/7/8) and use former 4.2.

Thanks. I appreciate the response. Now I can look at it with the view
that if something's broken, it's probably in the server code :) I found
quite a few things that looked like they were started but still quite
broken!

I really do need tds8 compatibility, so I might try and make that work,
and give up if it's too hard.

There is a sqlrelay application which acts as a proxy for mssql (and
many others) for the purposes of connection pooling etc. Does anyone
know if it uses the server code in freetds, if it implements it's own
server code, or if the nature of it means that it doesn't need to do
that at all...?

Thanks

James