freetds - Re: [freetds] server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] server
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:17:13 +0100

> There is a 'server' directory in src in the freetds tree, which builds
> libtdssvr.so, which appears to be a library which can handle
> the server
> side of the tds protocol. It contains a 'tds_listen' call
> which listens
> on a tcp port, and then a 'tds_alloc_read_login' which
> allocates a login
> structure and reads the login from the client (eg Query
> Analyser), and a
> whole load of other calls to do with reading a query and
> sending results
> (eg the opposite of sending a query and reading results).
>
> It doesn't seem to work properly though... for tds8 with a username of
> 'fnord', the 'tds_alloc_read_login' call only seems to read
> the username
> of 5 bytes, but tds8 uses multibyte so it should read 10 bytes.
>
> Looking at the code, it may be that I need to initialise the
> iconv stuff
> so it is properly aware of multibyte characters, but I'm not
> sure how to
> do that.
>
> I get the impression that this code is essentially unmaintained and
> possibly unused.
>
> If anyone is using it, I would love to speak to you :)
> Alternatively if
> you know with any authority that the code is in fact unmaintained and
> unused, I probably need to hear that too :(
>
> Thanks
>
> James

I can confirm that server code is quite not maintained. Last year we did
some updates in order to accommodate Steve Kirkendall work (he did a
small driver for his db). It was designed with the idea to help testing
however was too hard to maintain in sync with driver development
(current drivers support a lot of feature like rpc, dynamic sql and so
on that are difficult to implement in server).
If you feel useful for you please post any update. I think that you
should avoid latest protocols (tds 5/7/8) and use former 4.2.