freetds - Re: [freetds] Connection Problem iconv

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Connection Problem iconv
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:08:43 -0500

Tom <tomaw AT gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi JKL,
>
> here is the full config.log.
> Hope you find some Hints there.
> Please tell me if you need more Informations.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

I think I don't know enough to help you, Tom.

The config.log shows that the compiler found iconv(3) among your .h files,
and successfully compiled a test program. It doesn't show which library
it used, or what that library's capabilities are. Even if it did, I'm not
sure that would reveal much.

The first question is, Is your system correctly configured. Is there only
one libiconv installed, and is it GNU's (as it should be, on a Linux box)?
A little work with find(1) and ident(1) should answer that.

If there's more than one library, fooling around with gcc's --print
options might reveal which one is being used, and if it's what you want.

The second question is, What name does that iconv use for ISO 8859-1? Can
iconv(1) (the command line utility), for instance, convert ISO 8859-1 to
UTF-8?

If iconv(1) works and there's only one library, a simple test program
could recapitulate the libtds initialization. If constructed as a unit
test, it might be useful to the project in the future.