freetds - RE: [freetds] Re: FreeTDS Digest, Vol 25, Issue 5

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Bort, Paul" <pbort AT tmwsystems.com>
  • To: 'FreeTDS Development Group' <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Re: FreeTDS Digest, Vol 25, Issue 5
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:02:21 -0500

> tsql -S 192.168.111.2:4168 -U 'Abstract\CPARENT' -P
> mypassword
>
> and to my suprise, it looked like it's connecting!
> However, I must be still doing something wrong.
>
> Login failed for user 'ABSTRACT\cparent'. Reason: Not
> associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.

If I remember correctly, Windows Authentication is in
addition to SQL server authentication, not instead of;
try logging in as 'sa' if you can get the sa password.

My freetds.conf has a line "try domain login = no". You
might need to change that line in yours if you haven't
already.

> now, when I Ctrl-Alt-Del, windows XP says "cparent is
> logged on as ABSTRACT\cparent" so I'm fairly certain
> that I have that part correct. I know my password is
> correct. I can connect with other applications, so I
> have permissions to that DB. What could I be doing
> wrong?
>
> 1) Why cant it connect still
> 2) Why isnt it on port 1433. telnet cant even connect
> here. well, it's seeing it at least, but that scares
> me it's not at 1433 like it should be?

Port 1433 is the default. It is a reasonable security
precaution to change this, so that script kiddies
scanning the default port won't get anywhere.

I wouldn't worry about this at all, as long as you know
that 4168 is the right port.

> 3) As far as servers host name goes, how do i set this
> up? I'm more of a developer than an admin, and I'm
> unsure as to how linux would know "myserver" is
> currently pointing to "192.168.111.2". I've tried
> using -H and it doesn't seem to know about the server
> yet.

This is the standard Linux name resolver. My guess is
that you can't ping the server by name, either.

You might need to add a line to /etc/resolv.conf that
specifies your local DNS server.