freetds - [freetds] MS SQL - Force protocol encryption

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Danny Raetzsch" <danny AT msc.tamu.edu>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] MS SQL - Force protocol encryption
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 20:31:19 -0600

Hi,

I was having problems a while back being unable to connect to an SQL
server across campus using tsql, getting an error message which reads,
"Could not read from server." I was finally able to get out of the
server admin that they have enabled the "force protocol encryption"
option on the SQL Server. Is it likely that this is where my problem
is coming from?

It's unlikely that I will be able to get the admin to turn it off. Is
there any way I can get around this with freetds? If not, are there any
commercially available alternatives that I should check out that might
be able to solve the problem? I've already looked into Easysoft's
ODBC-ODBC bridge software but this requires installation on the server,
which will not be possible.

Someone else suggested I try routing tsql through stunnel (an SSL
wrapper). I'm not real familiar with the SSL protocol - or encryption
mechanisms at all for that matter - but it seems to me this is a bit of
a long shot. I gave it a try anyway, but to no avail. Am I barking up
the wrong tree here?

Thanks,
Dan