freetds - [freetds] Connection Refused Error

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Martin, Stanley G [CGEY Contractor for Sprint]" <Stanley.G.Martin AT mail.sprint.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Connection Refused Error
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:36:37 -0500

I have a new SQL Server installation that is running on the default port
(1433) that I cannot connect to. I can connect using TSQL that comes
with FreeTDS 0.62.4 and I can connect to another installation of SQL
Server just fine. I keep getting this error:

src/tds/login.c: tds_connect: 192.168.0.1:4000: Connection refused
DBI connect('server=servername','loginid',...) failed: (no error string)
at ./check_mssql line 99
error: OpenClient message: LAYER = (0) ORIGIN = (0) SEVERITY = (78)
NUMBER = (41)
Server servername, database
Message String: Server is unavailable or does not exist.

It works to one MSSQL 2000 and not to another and TSQL works to both. I
re-compiled FreeTDS and removed the freetds.conf file and it re-compiled
with a fresh one. The server that works isn't even in the freetds.conf
file but works. Doesn't the server have to be configured in that file
in order to connect?

Stanley G. Martin
System Administrator
Sprint - EAS Business Intelligence