freetds - RE: [freetds] having more than one active SQL statement

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] having more than one active SQL statement
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 14:14:16 -0400

http://www.freetds.org/faq.html#pending

Now that the ODBC driver is pretty functional, it's gaining adherents who
haven't used a TDS server before. Your question used to come up about once a
year, but now it seems like it's more like once a month, so I added it to the
FAQ. If that doesn't answer your question, please say so.

> Is this a farce? Is there something going on in ADO that I am unaware of?

It would seem so. ADO is populating a container for you. You get the
convenience of the container, at the price of waiting for the last row before
you can use the first one.

> The basic problem is that SQLExecDirect() fails with error 0
> and no error message on the second SELECT statement that I
> execute on it. Do I need to open a new connection for every
> statement that I want to be active at once?

That's a problem. :-( Error message handling in the FreeTDS ODBC driver
sometimes fails to convey server messages to the client. It's being worked
on.

Regards,

the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Please note that we do not accept account orders and/or instructions
by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible for carrying out such orders
and/or instructions.
If you, as the intended recipient of this message, the purpose of which is to
inform and update our clients, prospects and consultants of developments
relating to our services and products, would not like to receive further
e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply" to the sender
indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New York,
NY 10105.