freetds - Re: [freetds] Perl pulling data from SQL Server using FreeTDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: v79k <v79k AT yahoo.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Perl pulling data from SQL Server using FreeTDS
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 15:48:31 -0700 (PDT)

--- "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2004, v79k <v79k AT yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Is there a limit of 256 bytes for FreeTDS? Column
> 1 is
> > basically tab limited data.
>
> No. FreeTDS imposes no limit. The server or TDS
> version might, though.
> varchar in < TDS 7.0 is limited to 255 characters.

-- I use FreeTDS 8.0 since MS SQL Server 2000. The
server has no limit. Actually, there is a limit but it
is very high.

> > Will breaking into individual columns help?
>
> Eh, well, many people would call that better design.
> Of itself, better
> design often helps.
-- I tend to agree. The SP was just written that way.
Its working now. Instead of returning varchar, we are
returning text which in the server has a limit that
will not be reached very often.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,
-vk