freetds - Re: [freetds] windows installer copyright

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] windows installer copyright
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 20:53:17 -0400

On Sat, 8 May 2004, Steve Kirkendall <skirkendall AT dsl-only.net> wrote:
> "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org> wrote on Friday, May 07,
> 2004:
> > The other thing I think we should do is use autoconf to automatically
> > insert the version strings.
>
> I'm a little concerned about that since the MSVC6 compilation procedure
> doesn't involve running "configure". I think that isn't a problem, but
> I want to make sure I understand. Is the following sequence of events
> correct?
>
> 1) The version number is changed in some automake configuration file.
> 2) A new "configure" script is generated.

Right so far. :-)

> 3) The "configure" script is run on a Unix box. Among other things,
> this produces a Makefile and a tweaked version of the setup.rc file.

The configure script doesn't affect setup.rc. Autoconf will read
configure.in, wherein it will be instructed to produce a file 'setup.rc'.
The default input for foo.bar is foo.bar.in; in this case, autoconf will
want a file 'setup.rc.in'. IOW, setup.rc -- along with the configure
script and some others -- are all outputs of autoconf.

One question: Do the ProductVersion and FileVersion have to be four
integers? Can they be strings? Can they be something like
'0.63.dev.20040430'? I assume No, and am preparing for 0, 63, 0,
20040430. If the last number must be <32K, then I'll trim the day.

> 4) Still on the Unix box, "make dist" is run to create a gzipped tar
> archive containing the source files, INCLUDING THE TWEAKED setup.rc!

Yes. 'make dist' bundles things up. In the case of setup.rc, it *only*
bundles it up. In the case of, say, the User Guide, it produces the HTML
from the SGML.

> 5) Somebody downloads source to a Windows PC, extracts the source, and
> compiles it with MSVC6 without running "configure".

Exactly.

> Okay, how do I assign the copyright to Brian?

That's up to you two. If you're Novell and he's SCO, you hire an army of
lawyers, sign an 85-page contract, and argue about it for years. If
you're Steve and he's Brian, you may arrive at a simpler arrangement. My
guess is it will suffice for you say "Brian, I assign copyright for the
following files to you", and let me put his name on the copyright
statements (I assume you mean all the files connected with 'setup.rc').

You still get credit, by the way. The headers will say something like
"Copyright 2004 Brian Bruns. Contributed by Steve Kirkendall." Or other
words to that effect, if you prefer.