freetds - Re: [freetds] Problem of unicode ( non-english character )

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Problem of unicode ( non-english character )
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:49:10 -0500

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, edwardspl AT ita.org.mo wrote:
> "Lowden, James K" wrote:
> > 1. Make sure libiconv is installed.
>
> How can I sure libiconv is installed ?

Log in to the FreeTDS machine at a shell prompt. Try:

$ iconv -l

That should list the character sets that your iconv(1) understands, and
prove it's installed. To find the library location, you could try
something like this:

$ ldd $(command -v iconv)
/usr/pkg/bin/iconv:
-liconv.2 => /usr/pkg/lib/libiconv.so.2
-lc.12 => /usr/lib/libc.so.12

As you can see, my libiconv is in /usr/pkg/lib.

If that's not enough information for you, perhaps your friendly local
system administrator could help?

> Does UTF-8 support the function of ( convert the charset of unicode )
> including multi-language ( english and non-english ( eg : chinese ) ) ?

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/nonwestern.htm
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/aboutunicode.htm
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/unicodeutf.htm

If you have questions after reviewing these pages, please ask.

> > 6. Test with tsql. If it doesn't work "export TDSDUMP=/tmp/tdsdump",
> > run tsql again, and look at the log. It will tell you if iconv was
> > engaged correctly. If it's not clear, send the log here.
>
> Sorry, how to test with tsql ?
> Just type "export TDSDUMP=/tmp/tdsdump" under Linux System ( shell
> prompt ) ?

That's right.

$ export TDSDUMP=/tmp/freetds.log
$ tsql -S servername -U username -P password

That will generate a log file named "freetds.log" in the /tmp directory.

> Sorry, don't quite understand the function ( useful ) of UTF-8...

I have done my best to explain in the User Guide (see above links) how
alphabetic and ideographic systems are encoded. No one has volunteered
yet to translate it into Chinese. :-( But, UTF-8 is a general topic.
I'm sure there are Chinese explanations of it available elsewhere on the
Web.

Regards,