freetds - Re: [freetds] RE: textptr size in blob field

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] RE: textptr size in blob field
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:16:15 -0500

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, M C <mcbp223 AT yahoo.com> wrote:
> James,
> I'm good guy I can't coerce the server :), I don't know how anyway, and
> 16 might be hard-coded as well in the known servers, but some custom
> servers might want to use the feature if it is in the protocol.

Mike,

If you're writing a new TDS server and would like to add this flexibility
to FreeTDS, I don't have any objection. It looks like a fairly small
modification, and I agree the TDS specification allows it. Is that how
you generated the traces you posted?

If you've found a proprietary implementation that uses a txtptr size of
something other than 16, then clearly we need to support it. It would be
helpful, though, to have a way to test it....

> I was wondering why do you do the switch based on size instead of data
> type?

I think I don't understand the question. We read a byte, that byte says
the txtptr is 16 bytes, so we read them. What data type? Unless you mean
the column type?

> I can send you my source code for the tests I'm doing, but it's in C++
> on VC6 so far.

It might be interesting. I'm curious about what you're up to, if you care
to discuss it.

> How do you send email to this list so they appear thread indented, as
> replies?

That's a function of your email client. At work I use Outlook, which
ignores the "In-Reply-To:" header (can you say X.400?). At home I use
Sylpheed, which respects it, as do practically all free mail clients.