freetds - Re: [freetds] Data conversion limit for strings

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Data conversion limit for strings
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:40:46 -0500

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, "Marco Brinkmann" <brinkmann AT meacon.de> wrote:

> Hi everyone,

Hi Marco,

> after I fixed my UTF-8 truncation (setup a new system width RedHat 8.0),

Hmm. When you set up your RH8 box, did you get a newer version of PHP,
too?

> if I try to insert more than let's say 50-80 japanese signs, the insert
> does not work and quite strange it throws no error (the tds protocol say
> it: tds_put_string tries to convert 128 bytes and 0 bytes were written).

That's not good. :-( I'm happy to fix it if I can; just please
understand that I'm a bit disadvantaged, because I don't speak Japanese.

> I guess there is a limit of conversion, but how can I increase this
> limit?

There shouldn't be any limit, but there may be some confusion regarding
character count and buffer size. Perhaps we've just been lucky so far.
:-/ Or maybe there's an implementation problem we haven't been aware of.

When you configured FreeTDS, did it detect and use your system's libiconv?
You can check in config.log.

Can you force the failure using tsql, and can you post a TDSDUMP log of
the session? That will give us something to work with.

Regards,