freetds - Re: [freetds] SQSH2.1 compiles, but hangs & quits @ logon

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Ron Creamer" <ron AT pageworks.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] SQSH2.1 compiles, but hangs & quits @ logon
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:01:14 -0500

James K. Lowden wrote:
but you don't want -H, you want -S. -H sets the "hostname" i.e., the name
the client uses to identify itself to the server. If you're not using -S,
is DSQUERY set correctly?

You're right. That was a typo. I had been using -S, not -H. And -S resolves to the server I've defined in freetds.conf. The same -S -U -P combo works fine with tsql.

On my plate is making sqsh self-configure better. It needs autotool
maintenance. :-/

No problem. I'll bet you have a full plate already ;)
Looks good. Did you export SYBASE=/usr ?

Yes. I actually do it in /etc/profile. I both set it, and export it so all users on this test machine will have it set. And "echo $SYBASE" yields: /usr
I've also set FREETDSCONF="/etc/freetds.conf" TDSVER="7.0" TDSQUERY="acctg" and DSQUERY="acctg", and exported them all as well. Is this an ok way to do it?

Do you have proper syntax to run gdb on a sqsh command line such as "sqsh -S sqlserver -U username -P password"?

Thank you

From memory:

$ gdb `command -v sqsh`
["command -v" yields an absolute path in a POSIX shell.]
GNU gdb 5.0nb1
(gdb) set args -S servername -U username -P password
(gdb) r
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/sqsh -S servername -U username -P
password

I think you've a good memory. It seems to run, have the same behavior, then after the 15 seconds or so, I get the following output:
Program exited with code 0377.

[you might receive a signal here. If so:]
(gdb) bt
[produces a backtrace]

So I then type "bt" and it says:
No stack.

sqsh seems like such a cool tool. I would like to get it working at some point, but for now, since tsql works ok, do you think it's prudent that I continue on w/ my apache/php builds? Or should I continue trying to resolve the sqsh issue? I'm curious when was the last time anybody built sqsh against the latest freetds on a RH box.

Regards,

-Ron