freetds - Re: [freetds] version bumping

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] version bumping
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 11:52:32 -0600

[Just call me Kibo...]

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 10:44:52PM -0500, James K. Lowden wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, "ZIGLIO Frediano" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
> wrote:
> > I already bumped libTDS version
> >
> > For ctlib there is only a difference (removed added
> > functions/structures)
> >
> > -#define CS_NO_COUNT 57
> > +#define CS_NO_COUNT TDS_NO_COUNT
> > (where TDS_NO_COUNT == -1)
> > Do we can remove this difference keeping same version info

> Steve Langaksek is our resident .so authority. For my money, we should
> bump ct-lib, because it has new functionality. For example, if we don't
> bump it, and someone uses cursors, they could potentially try to link to
> 0.61, which would of course be bad. For the cursor, that is.

> Similarly, db-lib has rpc functions that 0.61 didn't.

The traditional reasoning is, if you can overwrite existing versions of
the library on your system with the new version without breaking any
apps that use it, you don't need to change the soname. It's also
desirable to be able to copy dynamically-linked binaries between
machines and know that they'll work, but changing sonames when
backwards-compatibility has been maintained doesn't achieve this; it
just gives you a different runtime error ("no such file or directory"
instead of "undefined symbol"), and forces you to keep multiple versions
of the library around where one would surely suffice.

Better to use sonames to indicate backwards-incompatible changes, and
use other methods -- such as versioned dependencies in a packaging
system -- to mark the addition of new interfaces.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer