freetds - [freetds] Date string differences between FreeTDS and Sybase ASE

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James McGowan" <jmcgowan AT luxurylink.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group (E-mail)" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Date string differences between FreeTDS and Sybase ASE
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:22:20 -0800

I've held off deploying FreeTDS due to a problem with date strings. A raw
date queried from SQL Server stored in datetime format looks like this on a
system using Sybase ASE 11.0:

Dec 18 2003 4:30:00:000PM

Using FreeTDS (the problem exists with the stable release as well as for
nightly snapshots), the same record looks like this:

Dec 18 2003 4:30PM

Because we use PHP functions to parse the time portion of the string, our
results get garbled with FreeTDS. Specifically, times after 12:00PM always
display as AM. (If you want the PHP code, I can provide it.) I have been
instructed not to code around this problem, but rather to investigate with
the dev group. Has anyone else has encountered this situation?

Apart from the two different DB drivers, configuration is identical with RH
Linux 7.3 and PHP 4.3.x.

Thanks, as always.