freetds - Re: AW: AW: [freetds] connect problem to mssql 7.0

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Daniel Fazekas <fdsubs AT axelero.hu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: AW: AW: [freetds] connect problem to mssql 7.0
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:09:27 +0100

On Dec 16, 2003, at 8:06, roland bole wrote:

You have completely right, I will change this.
Do you think this could be also a reason for the failed connection after a
while.

Not likely, but it's possible that experimenting with some of the options like tds version or text size makes a difference, options that without this change you weren't able to modify.

Mssql_pconnect, we have some queries where we get information about customer
info, e.g. for customer search, or customer offerts, there for I think
mssql_pconnect is the right way.
I will try mssql_connect.

This didn't sound like a sensible reason for _pconnect. What kind of data you are getting is quite irrelevant here.

The only difference with persistent connections is that PHP does not automatically close the database connections when a script ends running, instead trying to keep it open as long as PHP's process is alive, and reusing the already opened connection when another script tries to use _pconnect.

The one advantage of this method is that you avoid establishing the connection and repeating the authentication process. Besides this possible speed bonus, there's only disadvantages to using _pconnect.

--
fds