freetds - RE: [freetds] toward installed documentation

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO Frediano" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] toward installed documentation
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:35:41 +0100

> This message regards the intended location of the installed
> documentation, and how (and where) it it generated.
>
> I'm working on making "make install" install the documentation.
>
> The target directories:
>
> UG: PREFIX/share/doc/freetds/userguide/
> reference: PREFIX/share/doc/freetds/reference/html/
>
> (man pages are installed in the canonical place.)
>
> Actually, "PREFIX/share" is only the default; it can be
> adjusted with "./configure --datadir=your/place".
>
> Currently, we have a complicated set of scripts that install
> the documentation. I discovered an automake variable
> "dist_data_DATA" that does just what we want, meaning we can
> discard the scripts.
>
> The dist_data_DATA target copies files (or directories) to
> PREFIX/share.
> All we do is specify the names of the directories, and it
> does the rest.
> But, there's a restriction: it's pretty dumb. There's no
> opportunity to adjust the directory names. To use it, the
> build tree must reflect the install tree.
>
> Currently, the build tree is something like this:
>
> userguide/
> reference/html/
>
> To use dist_data_DATA we need it to look like this:
>
> doc/freetds/userguide/
> doc/freetds/reference/html/
>
> Unless someone objects, I'm going to:
>
> 1. adjust doc/Makefile.am to change the build tree, such
> that we can use
> dist_data_DATA.
>
> 2. stop tar-ing the documentation directories in snapshots
> (and other distributions).
>
> About the dependencies on DocBook/Doxygen. For systems
> without these tools, I'll generate a stub output, a simple
> HTML document with a link to the website. That will allow
> CVS users to build the libraries and install without error
> (and also without documentation, but that can't be helped).
> Snapshot users will be unaffected; the snapshot includes
> pre-built documentation, and the generated Makefile should
> never be tempted to recreate it. In any case, no stub will
> overwrite anything.

Mmm... not that easy...
1- "make dist" should work. This mean that if you use CVS version you
NEED doxygen/docbook. However these tools shouldn't be needed for "make"
and "make install"... This means that CVS users can build RPM with your
stub files... not that cool, however we can just compile documentation
explicitly in spec file.
2- if you change structure (CVS, install or both?) keep in mind that
spec file need adjustements and tests too.
3- if you don't tar UG/reference you had to pack them untared. But this
shouldn't be big problem...
4- some users perhaps wants multiple freetds version to be installed.
Can this be a problem? Perhaps we should use doc/freetds-0.62/ instead
of doc/freetds/ ?