freetds - [freetds] Failing to connect from Redhat Linux to MS SQL Server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "FTL Africa" <ftla AT mutare.icon.co.zw>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Failing to connect from Redhat Linux to MS SQL Server
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 08:57:59 +0200

Greetings

I am developing a Windows application, which reads from a Linux database.
Having failed to connect to the Linux server I realized I had to install
ODBC which I did. I installed unixodbc2.2.1 and the postgresql driver. On
trying to test the installation I was having SQL_INVALID_HANDLE errors which
I suspected came from wrong input handles. The connection tests were failing
as well.
On the window application I started to get an error message like the one on
the attached document

If I try to create a data source using ODBC32 in the Control Panel the
SQLState for the first message is HY000
As a result I had to investigate on TDS . Apparently the message translated
to the TDS not compliant so I had to install FreeTDSv.61

./configure --with-tdsver=4.2 --with-unixodbc=/usr/local/unixodbc-2.2.6 --wi
th-prefix=/usr/local/freetds --enable-msdlib --enable-threadsafe --enable-ex
tra-checks
make
make install

However I cannot find the setup file for Freetds in /usr/local/freetds/ for
me to configure the TDS driver with odbcinst tool. If I run
make check
the first seven tests are failing due to connection failure. With the driver
TDS I cannot connect but with the driver PstgreSQL I can create data
sources.

Was it necessary that I install Freetds?
What could be the problem? Am I missing something somewhere? If any one
knows the right procedure please help?

Thanks in advance

My configuration:
> RedHat 7.3
> unixODBC 2.2.6
> PostgreSQL- 7.3
> FreeTDS- 0.61
> MS SQL Server-client-3.70..06.23 for Windows98

Regards,

Susan