freetds - RE: [freetds] Failing to connect from Redhat Linux to MS SQL Server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Phil Taylor" <Phil AT lansystems.co.uk>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Failing to connect from Redhat Linux to MS SQL Server
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:02:19 -0000

Hi,

Please see comments below...

TDS is the name of the protocol used to communicate with Sybase/MSSQL Servers
( Tagged Data Stream). I don't quite see why you felt you needed FreeTDS as
it is a client library to allow unix clients to connect to Sybase or MSSQL
servers without having to resort to the commercial Sybase driver which is
only available for Solaris/Linux.

To talk to a PostgreSQL server you should only need the PostgreSQL ODBC
driver which is available from
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/psqlodbc/projdisplay.php

If you are developing in VB.Net or C# then you may be better off using the
.Net Data Provider for PostgreSQL from
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/npgsql/projdisplay.php

Therefore I would say that no in your application you do not need
FreeeTDS......

Thanks

Phil

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This Email is confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender (Phil AT lansystems.co.uk)
IMMEDIATELY; you should not copy the email or use it for any purpose or
disclose its contents to any other person.

GENERAL STATEMENT:
Any statements made, or intentions expressed in this communication may not
necessarily reflect the view of the Company. Be advised that no content
herein may be held binding upon the Company or any associated company unless
confirmed by the issuance of a formal contractual document or Purchase Order.
Any Prices quoted are valid for ONE Business day only. Calls to LAN Systems
may be recorded for quality assurance and training purposes.

If you would like any information on the products and services offered by Lan
Systems, please visit our web site http://www.lansystems.co.uk

E&OE