freetds - Re: [freetds] Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Installation Problems

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Daniel Fazekas <fdsubs AT axelero.hu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Installation Problems
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:46:24 +0100

On Nov 13, 2003, at 15:27, Michael G. Vonk wrote:

Thanks, that worked to get FreeTDS to compile.
I then installed the DBD::Sybase Perl module and now I get the
following error:
% ./test.pl
dyld: perl Undefined symbols:
_libiconv_open
Trace/BPT trap
%
Any idea on why I am getting this error? This script worked under Mac OS X 10.2.

As far as I know, the iconv stuff in freetds is new for 0.62, which is why it's only appearing now.

I use FreeTDS with PHP and not Perl, but I did have a similar problem: I had to make sure PHP is also bound to iconv (and not just via a shared extension). Hardly an elegant solution, but it works and I welcome the support for iconv in freetds. I don't know if there's any way to make the Perl executable bound to libiconv as well or if there is a better solution... There's got to be one.

You can disable libiconv usage in freetds if you recompile it adding the --disable-libiconv switch to the ./configure script.

The iconv stuff gives you proper support for translating between different character encodings. It's most useful when using TDS version 8.0 with MS SQL Server, which as I understand uses some flavor of Unicode for everything. FreeTDS can - with the help of iconv -, transparently translate that back to a single-byte character encoding for you. Previous FreeTDS versions didn't do a proper translation and just stripped the Unicode characters down to a single byte, or something to that effect, which was also good enough for most of us, including myself.

--
Daniel