freetds - RE: [freetds] Does SQLBindParameter work with SQLExecDirect

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: 'FreeTDS Development Group' <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Does SQLBindParameter work with SQLExecDirect
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 14:05:45 -0400

Hi David,

Far from mad, it's probably your best bet, depending on your environment.

Releases are good for people who are running stable code in production
without problems. Someone who upgrades from one release to another can
fairly expect his recompiled code to Just Work, provided he makes the
requisite external changes (e.g., new/different defaults or entries in
freetds.conf).

My theory is that everything you need to use a release is documented in the
release; you don't have to subscribe to this list for that. IMO we've been
pretty successful on that score.

Releases get wider use than the snapshots, of course, and sooner or later
someone shows up here with a bug report. There are three kinds:

1. We clearly and definitely broke something that used to work.
2. It never worked, but is simple to fix in the release.
3. Everything else.

The first two types warrant release updates if feasible, which we do pretty
much whenever Freddy recommends. They are relatively rare, however, thanks
to our, ahem, fanatical testing and inimitable skill! If you were to
compare 0.61, 0.61.1, and 0.61.2, you'd find only a very few modules and
something under 100 lines of code changed.

My data-free estimate ;-) is that #3 represents 95% of bug reports
(excepting pilot error). The first advice for all type 3 problems is
usually "get yesterday's snapshot". Oftentimes that's enough, because
whatever it was has already been addressed (because bugs usually lie at the
edge of the development envelope). If any any fix or extension is
developed, it will be based on the current code.

Our CVS code is generally in pretty good shape. It's a rare day that it
doesn't compile and run the unit tests. Severe breakage is usually remedied
quickly.

Because of the way we work, people using a recent snapshot get better
support, I'd say, than people running the release. But that support comes
at the price of rather more involvement on their part, in the form of
reading this list, for instance.

That's my opinion; others will have others, of course.

the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Please note that we do not accept account orders and/or instructions
by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible for carrying out such orders
and/or instructions.