freetds - Re: [freetds] DB crash causes Perl script to hang

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] DB crash causes Perl script to hang
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:58:11 -0400

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:52:43 -0400, "Pickett, Mark J"
<mark.j.pickett AT xo.com> wrote:

> Micromuse Netcool
> Solaris 9
> FreeTDS 0.61
> Perl 5.8.0
> DBI 1.37
> DBD::Sybase 1.00
> Sybase 11.1.1 and 12.5.0 (problem occurs on both versions)
>
> I'm having a problem where I successfully connect to the DB, the DB
> crashes later on, and the Perl script will hang and begin to take up to
> 50% CPU on my server. My script won't write to its log or even run any
> of the subroutines are supposed to be called when the DB functions
> return errors. It appears that calls to the DB will wait forever for a
> response.

You're not using TDS 4.2 by any chance? You need TDS 5.0.

It's troubling that we're crashing your server (well, any server, really).
I'd need to see your complete TDSDUMP log, so I can analyze the protocol
vis-a-vis the spec to see if anything seems amiss.

I don't know anything about Netcool. If it relies on Sybase OpenServer,
there may be protocol elements we don't support.