freetds - Re: [freetds] MSSQL syntax flavors

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Andrew Pimlott <andrew AT pimlott.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] MSSQL syntax flavors
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 18:13:06 -0400

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 11:25:40AM -0400, Lowden, James K wrote:
> The differences you're describing are in the application, not the protocol.
> If you are using TDS 7.0 with sqsh, then the server really can't distinguish
> between sqsh and any Microsoft ODBC tool.

That's probably part of it (can't test right now), but I'm having
trouble believing this is the whole story. For example, I got a
message like the following with sqsh, which clearly came from the
database:

Msg 207, Level 16, State 3
Server 'DATABASE', Procedure 'proc', Line 19
Invalid column name 'col'.

The same code went through the MS Query Analyzer with no problems.
Maybe the MS tool is swallowing warnings/errors?

Thanks for the suggestion about sqsh. It didn't occur to me that it
would do so much interpretation in batch mode.

Andrew