freetds - Re: [freetds] CT-lib and DB-lib API question

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: Joel Apter <japter AT ibxtech.com>, FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] CT-lib and DB-lib API question
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 01:11:54 -0400

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 17:03:48 -0400, "Joel Apter" <japter AT ibxtech.com>
wrote:
> If the ctlib/dblib APIs are so much more mature than the ODBC API, would
> it be possible for me to write an application using the ct/db-lib API to
> interface with a MS SQL 2000 server?

Yes.

> Could someone please point me to some ctlib/dblib API documentation that
> I could as reference?

http://sybooks.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-cn/cng1250e

(It's mentioned in the FAQ.)

Last I checked, Microsoft took their docs offline, but Sybase's are better
anyway.

> Maybe I am misunderstanding this, but is this what PHP currently uses to
> interface with the database since ODBC is still lacking some features?

PHP offers a few ways. Check the archives for messages from Frank M.
Kromann for nuggets of wisdom that haven't found their way into our docs
yet. db-lib is our most complete implementation; I think it does
everything (and more) that can be done in the other libraries.