freetds - RE: [freetds] Things to do

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Things to do
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:12:32 -0400

These all sound good to me.

> Charset handling
> - conversion for Sybase
> - conversion for different coding in tds7/tds8 (every
> different columns)

Absolutely.

> - test variable-byte (utf8/big5)

Yes. Except I don't know if we have to handle stateful encodings. If your
algorithm is ready for prime time, OK.

> - test all string length computation and rewrite some code (many code
> assume fixed character conversions)

Much also assumes the first zero byte terminates a string... And many OS's
don't provide a wide-character equivalent of strlen() et. al. Makes me wish
for C++ and STL and basic_string<>, but I think we're going to get away with
pointer-to-buffer + count-of-bytes.

> RPC (I started this work but many things don't still work)
> - finish tests under ctlib (they do not check wrong returned
> values...)
> - fix ctlib too

Bill is going to continue to send us ct-lib fixes/enhancements.

I would be happy if 0.62 had *just* any-to-any encodings. Better RPC would
be nice, too; I might even work on TDS 5.0 RPC packets. I think client-side
UTF-8 is very important, because of RH8, and I would suggest we cut a
release sooner than later if that becomes a pressing issue.

> - SQLGetInfo

All of SQLGetInfo? Or just just what's in TODO?

Regards,

out such orders and/or instructions.