freetds - [freetds] Help: MSSql/FreeTDS/Python now unstable

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Paul Rensing <paul.rensing AT att.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>, djc AT object-craft.com.au
  • Subject: [freetds] Help: MSSql/FreeTDS/Python now unstable
  • Date: 17 Mar 2003 10:25:42 -0500

Hello,

I recently upgraded FreeTDS and the Python driver (Sybase.py) and now,
my interactions with MSSql are flakey. Unfortunately, it is more
complicated than just the drivers because the upgrade was driven by
changes made to the DB. I need to figure out what layer is causing the
problems.

Here is the full story. Our DB admins "re-organized" the SQLServer
database, moving tables to new owners, creating views to replace tables,
issuing new accounts. I don't know the full extent of the changes. As a
result, I started getting errors in the Python driver (the Sybase.py
driver, version 0.34 I think, working off FreeTDS 0.60). The bug was
that it was getting a state flag of CS_PENDING, which was not handled
correctly.

So, I upgraded FreeTDS to 0.61-2 and Sybase.py to 0.36pre6, which work
well together. However, now I am getting a bunch of strange results;
they happen often, but not consistently:

- when asking for the max of a time column, I frequently get back the
integer "0", instead of a time stamp. If I immediately repeat the query,
it works fine.

- Throughout my script, I read through various tables (pretty simple
select statement). On starting the query, I loop over the column
information to get the names. Sometimes, this array is empty.

These problems only occur after my script has done a bunch of work. I am
perfectly willing to believe that it is the result of some change that
was made to the DB, but I don't really have any evidence. I tried
turning on tracing, but could not quite figure out what was going on.

Can anyone offer some suggestions on how I can isolate this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Paul Rensing
--
Paul Rensing <paul.rensing AT att.net>