freetds - RE: [freetds] openbsd/3.0 freetds 0.61 build errors

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Jamie ffolliott" <jamieff AT inline.net>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] openbsd/3.0 freetds 0.61 build errors
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:53:51 -0500

> On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 03:08:52 -0500, "Jamie ffolliott" <jamieff AT inline.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > Figured out it was because of the 2nd line, where it was trying to link
> > to the libtds.so from my 0.60 build installed to /usr/lib, instead of
> > from../tds/.libs. I removed the 0.60 tds libs from /usr/lib and the
> > build completed.
>
> I would have thought tsql would be installed after libtsql, so if your
> 0.61 PREFIX was /usr, you'd be OK....

Yeah tsql was built/installed after libtds, but during the build of tsql, ld
still saw the old libtds libraries still sitting in /usr/lib and tried to
link with the the old of the new.

I compiled both freetds builds with --prefix=/usr. So my fix was to remove
/usr/lib/libtds.* and /usr/lib/libsybdb.* before doing a new build.

> > If only the priority of dirs that ld searches in were the other way
> > around, the entire build would complete.
>
> Yes, but you'd have old libraries sitting around. I'm not sure what the
> right answer is; perhaps others have thoughts. Maybe we should rejigger
> things somewhat.

Yeah I'm not sure how libtool works, but my thought was changing the order
of the directories in the linker command would force it to search
../tds/.libs before it searches /usr/lib.

It turns out that -L/usr/lib isn't needed to build the stuff in src/apps, so
setting LDFLAGS to blank in src/apps/Makefile(.in) is another possible way
around this.