freetds - Re: [freetds] Release 0.61, rc1

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: FreeTDS <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Release 0.61, rc1
  • Date: 06 Feb 2003 12:05:42 +0100

Il gio, 2003-02-06 alle 11:29, Alf-Ivar Holm ha scritto:
> Craig Davison <cd AT securityfocus.com> writes:
>
> > The new configure line would be:
> >
> > %configure --with-tdsver=4.2 --prefix=/usr --with-unixodbc=/usr/local
> ^^^^^^
> > --enable-threadsafe --sysconfdir=/etc
>
> May I ask why with_unixodbc is set to /usr/local, and not /usr? If
> FreeTDS is installed under /usr, why assume that unixODBC is installed
> somewhere else? (RedHat 8's unixODBC RPM is put under /usr - with
> configuration files under /etc.)

--with-unixodbc is used for two porpuses:
1- enable odbc driver compile with unixodbc
2- add include and lib directory used to compile odbc driver
/usr are used by default, so using /usr/local work even if your distro
use /usr/local instead of /usr for unixODBC (I use RH, unixODBC is
installed in /usr but it compile and run perfectly)

> I configured a 0.61 snapshot like this to get it working with RedHat
> 8's unixODBC (I installed freetds in /opt to not interfere with
> previously installed FreeTDS.):
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/freetds --enable-shared --disable-static
> --with-unixodbc=/usr
>
> (I don't really know if I need the -shared and -static switch - I
> copied that from someone else's example. Shame on me.)
>
> Affi

/usr is used in many RPMs so is best to leave in /usr.
Perhaps you don't need static but other people have different ideas...
Perhaps split static from shared would be a best solution but we can't
split freetds in dozen packages... If other people think that splitting
static library is helpful.