freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS and WINE?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS and WINE?
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 19:31:35 -0500

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 16:15:56 -0600, Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 04:26:35PM -0500, Lowden, James K wrote:
>
> > The "compile farm" servers have inconsistent versions of the
> > autotools, so CVS builds failed on FreeBSD and Mac OS X. The latter
> > situation is expecially disappointing, since its libtool is antique,
> > and OS X needs the very latest version, preferably tomorrow's. ;-)
>
> In fact, simple compiling should never be contingent on the presence of
> autotools at all. A "release candidate" tarball ought to include the
> full set of generated build scripts (generated in the exact environment
> that will be used for the release!), so that these can also be tested to
> make sure they'll work on the systems of end-users (who typically don't
> have autotools installed unless they're also developers).
>
> I think that if you prepare the snapshot/rc with the build scripts
> already generated in a "known good" environment, you'll have better luck
> both on the build farm and with user feedback post-release.

Acknowledged. I thought I might kill two birds with one stone, and
characteristically took the hard way (requiring, I guess, a bigger stone).
I thought if I could move the nightly snapshot to the compile farm, it
would have a more stable home than it has now. (It's in my house, but my
attention drifts when I'm not home.) But, not only are the autotools
lacking, there's the jade issue, too. So, ixnay on the armfay.

I'll do the branch tonight, and prepare a release (candidate)
announcement. They might not go out until tomorrow, depending on what
else happens tonight.