freetds - Re: [freetds] UDP, freeTDS and a v0.61 question

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: FreeTDS <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] UDP, freeTDS and a v0.61 question
  • Date: 30 Jan 2003 21:03:21 +0100

Il gio, 2003-01-30 alle 20:32, Coleman, Dave ha scritto:
> Question for the group:
>
> Does the TDS specification include any mechanism for providing packet
> redundancy? Obviously, the UDP protocol will not provide this.
>
> We are experiencing some strange errors on our system, however; these errors
> are intermittent in nature.
> * In the middle of some random batch (always the same script), we will
> get the error, "Error converting NUMERIC to DECIMAL."

Is hard to say without the code... perhaps NUMERIC and DECIMAL are
stored in db in different way and have different range...

> * this same script (exact down to a strcmp()) will succeed
> milliseconds later.
> * The severity level of the error is 25, indicating that it is an
> internal SQL server failure, not code, driver or query related.
> * This raises an error on the client and everything that I can trace
> to freeTDS seems to work just fine.
> * The error code is 3601, which I cannot find anywhere.

I'll have a look. What server do you use? There is a syserrors table or
similar...

> With regards to the fact that TDS uses UDP:
> * If I am utilizing only the tds layer of code, is there any
> protection for corrupted/dropped network packets?

TDS use TCP, not UDP, UDP is only used in discovery for mssql (still not
implemented in FreeTDS)

> * Is it possible to use a TCP socket for this?
> * Does the TDS protocol support the use of TCP?
> * Can TCP be used from a DSN'less linux client to communicate with a
> MS SQL server running on Win2k?

If for DSN'less you mean ODBC DSN'less connection, yes, from some months
ago (CVS version and coming 0.61). I use this configuration testing some
win32 programs.
If you mean use WINS instead of DNS for machine not in DNS I suggest
configuring samba for WINS name resolution.

... omissis ...

> Also, I am considering upgrading to 0.61 when released.
>
> My one concern is simple:
> How much does the core tds API differ from 0.60 release 1? If I've
> been following the list and keeping up to speed with changes, I'm going to
> have more than a few structure alignment issues when I re-compile, or am I
> wrong in this assumption? (Please tell me I'm wrong).

I think mainly differences are due to tds_process_XXX functions and
adding of others... Also is absolutely not binary compatible...

> Thank you for your time,
> Dave Coleman
> Software Engineer
> TI Automotive