freetds - RE: [freetds] MS-SQL Slammer Worm

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Daniel Morgan" <danmorg AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] MS-SQL Slammer Worm
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 07:04:04 -0500

It causes a Denial Of Service. It happened to me running MS SQL 2000 on
Windows XP Pro.
The suggestion by Microsoft was to install the security fix that has been
out for six months.

I actually thought it was my ISP having problems at first; however, I knew
something was up whenever I rebooted, I had internet for a few minutes.
Then I came across slashdot.org's article.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
virus/alerts/slammer.asp

That is one link above. Outlook has the tendency to word wrap URLs for some
stupid reason.

Two choices:
1. Install the fix (MS02-061)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
bulletin/MS02-061.asp

2. Install MS SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 3
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/2000/sp3.asp

Here is the Slashdot article
http://slashdot.org/articles/03/01/25/2123244.shtml?tid=95