freetds - RE: [freetds] Update to webpage, Perl, and binary

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Update to webpage, Perl, and binary
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:07:15 -0500

> From: Stephen More [mailto:mores AT yahoo.com]
> Sent: December 11, 2002 10:35 AM
>
> 1. Can someone update http://www.freetds.org/docs.html so
> that help and troubleshooting point to
> the right location ?

Thanks for mentioning it. I'll take care of it.

The problem is that my sgml catalog (or something) doesn't generate named
pages, so the only way to find any section in the user guide is via the
table of contents.

> 2. The latest version of DBD::Sybase that will work with
> freetds is 0.94, 0.95 wont't work.

Do you have any details on that? We try to keep Michael happy.

> 3. Known Issue "BCP of text and image types is currently
> broken for Microsoft servers."
> What does BCP standfor ? I assume this means that binary
> columns will not works against
> Microsoft servers.

http://www.schemamania.org/projects/freetds/doc/which_api.html

I've been meaning to add that to the FAQ.

> 4. How can I get perl to select, update, and insert binary
> columns in Microsoft servers ?

If you want varbinary to work, use a recent snapshot. See ChangeLog for
details.

We claim to have all datatypes working (except variant). If you encounter a
problem at that level, we'll fix it. DBD::Sybase is the way to go. FreeTDS
does do everything Sybase's ct-lib does, so some of DBD::Sybases's features
are missing, but the core functionality works.

out such orders and/or instructions.