freetds - RE: Strange things ...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: ZIGLIO Frediano <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafoneomnitel.it>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Strange things ...
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 17:14:39 +0100

> Let's not advertise output parameter support until we really
> have a handle
> on the relevant MS SQL Server issues. Previously I have
> claimed that this
> is an MS SQL bug, but now I'm not so sure.
>
> Sybase docs say that passing output parameters back to the client is
> deprecated, and only works when the relevant bit is flipped on in the
> capabilities sent to the server (we're OK with Sybase
> servers, since we have
> that bit set in the capabilities we send).

Don't do confusion from output parameters and output parameter types...
We handle parameters back from server. The lack in ms implementation is that
mssql do not return output data types when your register dynamic command
while Sybase do.

> MS may have simply dropped support for this deprecated
> feature in SQL Server
> 7 SP3, or they may now require a capability bit requesting
> it. We don't
> currently send any capabilities in our TDS7 login packet (I
> don't know if it
> even has a concept analogous to Sybase capabilities.)

No, dynamic query are implemented in different way and from ms docs mssql do
not return output parameter types. I don't found the link to odbc/ado
implementation that confirm this stuff...

> So, the jury is still out...it may be our fault, it may be
> MS's fault, and
> in either case this is a deprecated feature that code really
> shouldn't be
> counting on anyway!
>
> Cheers,
> --nick

freddy77

"STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL

This message may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies.
The contents of this message that do not relate to the official business of
our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it."