freetds - RE: tdsdump.out debug stream file

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Jerry Grooms <grooms AT uky.edu>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: tdsdump.out debug stream file
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 17:17:20 -0500 (EST)

Lowden, James K <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com> writes:

> FreeTDS creates a dump file if the TDSDUMP environment
> variable is set. If you did something like "export
> TDSDUMP=tdsdump.out", that would explain the file.

Interesting...I'm virtually positive I did not set the TDSDUMP var
myself as I wasn't even aware of it's existence. Whether something
set it unwittingly on my behalf...I would not stake my life on it,
but it does not appear to be the case:

[ from shell where database sessions were run]
echo $TDSDUMP
TDSDUMP: Undefined variable.

>> Is this a side-effect of debugging turned on in the
>> development version? I looked in the code where the dump is
>> toggled on/off, but the off appears currently commented out.

> Where are you referring to? I think examination of the code
> will show there's no default dump file name. :)

I was starting to doubt my sanity... ;-)

from src/tds/util.c - ~ line 182

/* ============================= tdsdump_open() ==============================
*
* Def: This creates and truncates a human readable dump file for the TDS
* traffic. The name of the file is specified by the filename
* parameter. If that is given as NULL, it opens a
* file named "tdsdump.out" in the current directory.
*
* Ret: true iff the file was opened, false if it couldn't be opened.
*
* ===========================================================================
*/
int tdsdump_open(const char *filename)

Unless this is somehow dead code, it appears there are situations
where a default file - tdsdump.out - can in fact get created.

I still maintain I did not _actively_ turn this on; if it turns out
otherwise somehow, mea culpa. But, it appears the above is likely
to play some part...? If this feature was enabled in 0.60, but no
file is specified in the freetds.conf file, is it possible
tdsdump.out get's created here? Perhaps I'll test it a bit...

Jerry