freetds - RE: Changing return codes from tds_convert()

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: ZIGLIO Frediano <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafoneomnitel.it>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Changing return codes from tds_convert()
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:04:47 +0200

> tds_convert() doesn't take an output buffer. It allocates
> enough space in
> the CONV_RESULT and places the result there. The calling
> layer then checks
> how much it got back, and either copies out the result or
> complains if the
> user-provided buffer wasn't big enough. Very cool stuff.

Altough clean this process can be very memory consuming and low performance.
Think an image field with 500M of data (yes, it mean half gigabyte!),
allocate the needed buffer, copy it and return. If client request only 1K of
the data we allocate and copy the 500M field (if not cored before...). Also
this require 1G of memory...

freddy77

"STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL

This message may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies.
The contents of this message that do not relate to the official business of
our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it."