freetds - RE: slow , very slow

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: slow , very slow
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 07:42:07 -0400

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 17:18:01 -0500, "Walgamotte, David"
<david.walgamotte AT wild.net> wrote:

> I didn't mean to anger you and appreciate your time responding.

It's not a question of anger, David. It's a question of silliness and
seriousness. You are not making any effort, as far as I can tell, to
isolate the components of the performance. You provided vanishingly
little information about what you were doing, leading some of us to wonder
whether or not you might be wasting our time, intentionally or not.

> However you response does not help matters any. I did perform
> Querys on more rows and the result was extremely slow a 10 thousand
> Row query took 1600 seconds. The same query across the same network
> to mysql took 3 seconds. The same query local to the windows box took
> 3 seconds. I understand mssql is slower, but not by that much.

If you want me to help you further dissect this, follow my instructions.
Tell me four numbers, in rows/second, to perform the operations on the
servers and across the network. I want to know how fast MS SQL is for
you, before we examine how fast FreeTDS is.

Regarding 10,000 rows in 1600 seconds. How long does that query run on
the server, inserting its output into a temporary table? Also, you have
tsql. How long does it take for tsql to return your 10,000 rows?

I assert that freebcp will download those 10,000 rows in a heartbeat. If
not, show me some ping(8) output demonstrating that connectivity to the
server is OK.

> Tell me one the freetds interface has problems or two
> it's a freetds configuration problem.

Arrant nonsense.

> I'm looking for solid help here guys. Is there anything I can check
> Configuration wise or an alternate connection method.

We'll see.

Regards,