freetds - Re: dbdead, PHP, and Apache

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James K. Lowden <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: dbdead, PHP, and Apache
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 00:58:57 -0400

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:40:00 -0500, "Steve Langasek"
<vorlon AT netexpress.net> wrote:

> IIRC, the libtool info docs give a pretty good overview of the issues
> surrounding library sonames.

Got it, read it, thanks for the pointer. Read it before, without thinking
I'd be responsible; the difference between trying to understand a language
and trying to speak it. Even now, actually, it's not obvious to me anyway
that the version had to be changed, since nothing disappeared from the
source code interface. OTOH, I know the source code interface to libtds
changed....

Heretofore, the ABI never changed (downward, much). Now that Nick is
working on ABI issues, though, we can expect changes in this area.

Can anyone speak authoritatively to ct-lib? Did its source/binary
interface change between 0.53 and 0.60? I'm going to believe nothing was
removed from ODBC

> Since freetds uses libtool for building, the soname can be bumped by
> editing the corresponding src/<lib>/Makefile.am file and changing the
> -version-info line; the first number controls the library major number,
> so changing it from 1 to 2 will solve the problem.

Understood. To make the future a better place, I would like to suggest we
make a joint effort to keep the libtool version system in mind as we
affect the public interface. If he who modifies the interface (including
adding a function) updates its Makefile.am in accordance with the libtool
system, everyone will benefit.

For instance, AIUI, the ODBC lib is 0.0.0. I don't know; I never build
it, but let's say so for argument's sake. The rules are:

3. If the library source code has changed at all since the last
update, then increment REVISION (`C:R:A' becomes `C:r+1:A').

Yes: 0.1.0

4. If any interfaces have been added, removed, or changed since the
last update, increment CURRENT, and set REVISION to 0.

Yes: 1.0.0

5. If any interfaces have been added since the last public release,
then increment AGE.

Yes: 1.0.1? Or is that an "else" condition?

6. If any interfaces have been removed since the last public release,
then set AGE to 0.

No: Leaving me with 1.0.0 (best guess) or 1.0.1 (interpreting the rule
literally).

> Is there any chance that 0.61 can be branched from 0.60 and released in
> short order to address this library incompatibility? I can't upload a
> FreeTDS package to Debian that breaks existing apps in this way, so I'll
> either need to bump the soversion on 0.60 myself, or wait until 0.61
> comes to term before I can get updated libs into Debian unstable.

I will try to move quickly to offer you 0.60.1, along these lines:

1. checkout R0_60, plus head Makefile.am's. The Makefiles have not
changed materially since the release.
2. apply the fixes you recommend.
3. tag as R0_601
4. cvs commit; make dist; make Steve happy ;)
5. update ibilio & readme.

Howzat?

--jkl