freetds - Re: dbdead, PHP, and Apache

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James K. Lowden <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: vorlon AT netexpress.net
  • Subject: Re: dbdead, PHP, and Apache
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:07:05 -0400

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 19:35:34 -0500, "Steve Langasek"
<vorlon AT netexpress.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 08:11:46PM -0400, James K. Lowden wrote:
>
> > FreeTDS 0.53 exported DBDEAD().
> > FreeTDS 0.60 exports dbdead().
>
> > I think you're linking to the old libraries. What says:
>
> > $ nm /usr/local/lib/libsybdb.so.1.0 |grep -i dbdead
> > 000036bc T _dbdead
>
> Whoops. Wasn't the stated plan to provide DBDEAD() as a
> backwards-compatible alias to dbdead()? Removing symbols without
> bumping the soname is a library no-no. If the DBDEAD() symbol is being
> dropped altogether, I'd very much like to see a 0.61 release that fixes
> the soname.

Hi Steve,

I don't remember stating that plan. The plan such as it is, was expressed
verily thus:

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 15:42:48 -0400, jklowden AT speakeasy.org wrote:
> I propose to solve this by doing what Sybase does. Let's put a DBDEAD()
> macro in sybdb.h that calls dbdead(), and convert the actual function to
> lowercase. In fact, let's do that for all the goofy uppercase
> brain-dead macros Sybase foisted on us over the years.

Thanks for pointing out the soname issue. Do you have a handy-dandy
reference for such rules, so I can hand pass it along to Release
Engineering? You know, I don't make the rules, I just work here.

Once I understand what to change where, I'll happily incorporate it in the
next release.

Regards,