freetds - RE: Mac OS X 10.1.5 Make Problem?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mark AT lilback.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Mac OS X 10.1.5 Make Problem?
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 19:14:07 -0400

I knew I needed to test 0.63, but didn't get the time with 9/11 last week...

At 4:29 PM -0400 9/16/2002, Lowden, James K wrote:
Yes. OS X perhaps has another variation on the theme for SC_PAGESIZE?
What do you get for the following:

$ grep -r SC_PAGESIZE /usr/include

Nothing.

More interesting, what says "man asprintf" and "man vasprintf"? Are they
not implemented by Darwin? The FreeTDS asprintf.c module should not come
into play unless the OS does not provide these functions.

They are both implemented. Here's the relevant portions from the man page:

Asprintf() and vasprintf() set *ret to be a pointer to a buffer suffi-
ciently large to hold the formatted string. This pointer should be
passed to free(3) to release the allocated storage when it is no longer
needed. If sufficient space cannot be allocated, asprintf() and
vasprintf() will return -1 and set ret to be a NULL pointer.

HISTORY
The functions asprintf() and vasprintf() first appeared in the GNU C
library. These were implemented by Peter Wemm <peter AT FreeBSD.org> in
FreeBSD 2.2, but were later replaced with a different implementation from
Todd C. Miller <Todd.Miller AT courtesan.com> for OpenBSD 2.3.

Nothing in BUGS about it.

I would be happy to fix FreeTDS to accomodate OS X, if we can find the
equivalent of SC_PAGESIZE or correctly assess the presence of vasprintf(3).

There is /usr/bin/pagesize and the function getpagesize() in unistd.h which return the number of bytes in a page.

"They that can give up essential liberty
Mark J. Lilback to obtain a little temporary safety
<mark AT lilback.com> deserve neither liberty or safety."
http://www.lilback.com/ -- Benjamin Franklin