freetds - help: tsql cannot connect to db while isql can

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Ross Simpson <mqsimpson AT aol.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: help: tsql cannot connect to db while isql can
  • Date: 13 Sep 2002 09:40:33 -0600

Hello,

I'm trying to get FreeTDS to talk to a Sybase 12.5 db, with no luck.

I have freetds and the sybase open client both on the box, and running
Sybase's isql works great:
./isql -SEMDEV125_SYB -Uuser -Ppass
1> (queries work fine here)

However, I can't get tsql to work:
./tsql -SEMDEV125_SYB -Uuser -Ppass
Msg 10018, Level 9, State 0, Server OpenClient, Line 0
The connection was closed
Msg 20014, Level 9, State 0, Server OpenClient, Line 0
Login incorrect.
There was a problem connecting to the server

Connecting using a hostname and port instead of a name from the
interfaces file yields the same results.

I have no freetds.conf file, and the interfaces file looks like this
(the correct addresses are present in the file):
EMDEV125_SYB
master tcp ether address.here 3106
query tcp ether address.here 3106

I'm using the same username and password in both. The error from tsql
makes me think that it's a username/password problem, but I don't know
what else to try.

Here are my particulars:

SQL Server version: Sybase ASE 12.5
FreeTDS version: 0.60, built with protocol version 7.
Client OS / HW: Solaris 2.7 on a Sun Ultra2

I'm hoping someone may know what's up..
Thanks for the help!

Ross

--
Ross Simpson
Associate Software Engineer | MapQuest.com