freetds - Re: unixODBC

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Alex Hornby <alex AT anvil.co.uk>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: unixODBC
  • Date: 06 Sep 2002 09:26:48 +0100

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 07:01, Peter Harvey wrote:
> I am confused because it appears that you are using iODBC not unixODBC.
> And if you have both on your system than you are inviting trouble.
>
> For example; you should only have one libodbc.so on your system and you
> should only have one odbcinst.ini. Further more you do not want to end
> up with a mix of iODBC and unixODBC libs. You certianly do not want
> 'find / -name "*iodbc*"' on your system if you plan on using unixODBC -
> unless you *really* know what you are doing :)
>
> Your ini files are clearly from an iODBC install and since you have
> indicated a problem with unixODBC I have to assume that your environment
> is suspect.
>
> A while ago I enhanced the DSN lookup code in the FreeTDS ODBC driver. I
> am very busy working on another project right now BUT please let me know
> if I should revisit this code - I feel somewhat obligated as I put a
> good chunk of code right in that area.
>
> Peter

On a related note, perhaps the FreeTDS ODBC driver should be
restructured to be based on the unixODBC template driver source?

Not only does the template have a cleaner source layout, the boiler
plate for picking up INI values and performing sanity checks on
parameters is already in place.

BTW If people haven't seen the template driver source it is in
unixODBC-X.X.X/Drivers/template

Cheers,
Alex.

  • Re: unixODBC, Alex Hornby, 09/06/2002