freetds - MS SQLServer 2000 and "for xml auto" command

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Chad Enney" <Chad.Enney AT noaa.gov>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: MS SQLServer 2000 and "for xml auto" command
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:21:18 -0600

Greetings,

I have searched through the archives and can find no reference to the problem I am seeing. Please forgive me if I am recovering ground.

My configuration:

RedHat Linux 7.3 connecting to a MS SQLServer 2000 using TDS protocol 7.0

I am issuing a select with the MS specific "for xml auto" extension.

example:

SELECT * FROM tds_test FOR XML AUTO;

Everything looks fine but I only get back the very first character of the returned result. I have turned on the tdsdump file and can clearly see the entire result being returned on the stack. The type is being returned as a SYBNTEXT - and I can retrieve standard columns of this type just fine. After poking through the freetds code it almost seems as if the memcpy inside the tds_get_n(TDSSOCKET *tds, void *dest, int need) function is failing for some reason?

I would be very grateful for any ideas on this one. Please let me know if you need more detail regarding the issue.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Chad Enney