freetds - Re: long password issues

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: long password issues
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:41:19 -0400

> I cheched in a small patch with a workaround for this.
> I bring password limit to 40 characters.
> You must use 7.0 or 8.0 protocol.

> Simply it use TDS7 protocol with different login packets...
> Also TDS5 should allow password longer than 30 characters but is a bit more
> complex to solve.

TDS 4/5 have a secondary password field and based on the authentication
scheme (ie kerberos) it forces use of that one instead of the primary
IIRC. However I don't know what would trigger it to look there for a > 30
char normal password.

> > I don't remember this issue coming up before. There is some
> > interest in
> > allowing for tablenames and such >30 characters, but no one
> > working on the
> > problem as yet.
> >

> It this problem written in issue document ?

This is an old sybase limitation that MS did away with (I think they
support up to 256 now). I'm not sure what the issue is though, I don't
recall anywhere in the code that we artficially limit this...on the server
side perhaps?

Brian