freetds - Re: long password issues

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: ZIGLIO Frediano <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafoneomnitel.it>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: long password issues
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:44:00 +0200

> On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 18:35:03 -0400, "Blake Nyquist"
> <blake.nyquist AT voyager.net> wrote:
>
> > After some poking around, we believe there is a limitation
> on sending a
> > password greater than 27 characters in length. Does anyone
> know if this
> > is a limitation on FreeTDS's part, DBD::Sybase's part, or some other
> > piece of the puzzle?
>
> Blake,
>
> Here's one clue, in tds.h:
>
> #define TDS_MAX_LOGIN_STR_SZ 30
> typedef struct tds_login {
> TDS_CHAR host_name[TDS_MAX_LOGIN_STR_SZ+1];
> TDS_CHAR user_name[TDS_MAX_LOGIN_STR_SZ+1];
> TDS_CHAR password[TDS_MAX_LOGIN_STR_SZ+1];

I cheched in a small patch with a workaround for this.
I bring password limit to 40 characters.
You must use 7.0 or 8.0 protocol.

> Probably this and several other "char(30)" choices reflect TDS 5.0 as
> defined by Sybase. I should add that to the list of known issues.
>
> > Are there any known solutions or work-arounds? The 32-character
> > password can be used through M$'s query analyzer tool just
> fine, so the
> > database itself doesn't seem to have any problems with the longer
> > password.
>
> The engineering approach would be to spend some time with tcpdump and
> figure out what the protocol does to send passwords greater than 30
> characters. (It might not be any more complicated than
> simply sending the
> *whole* password!) The whattheheck approach would be to change the
> structure definition (in tds.h.in), re-./configure, and see
> what happens.
> Joy of open source, you heard it here first. ;)

Simply it use TDS7 protocol with different login packets...
Also TDS5 should allow password longer than 30 characters but is a bit more
complex to solve.

> I don't remember this issue coming up before. There is some
> interest in
> allowing for tablenames and such >30 characters, but no one
> working on the
> problem as yet.

It this problem written in issue document ?

freddy77

"STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL

This message may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies.
The contents of this message that do not relate to the official business of
our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it."