freetds - Re: Numeric

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler AT peppler.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Numeric
  • Date: 18 Jul 2002 07:21:35 -0700

On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 02:10, Bill Thompson wrote:
> Freddy,
>
> > Coding of numeric (and decimal) in different TDS version is different. It
> > seem that TDS 4.2 and 5.0 use always big endian conversion and TDS7/8 use
> > always little endian.
> > Also MS SQL is limited to 38, Sybase to 77 (128 and 256 bit).
> > So for Sybase a require data to be 33, not 17 (see tds.h.in).
>
> The sybase manuals I've looked at (11.5 & 12) say numeric and decimal have
> 38 significant digits (2 to 17 bytes of storage)....

The protocol handles a precision of up to 77. The current versions of
ASE are limited to 38.

I believe that this is to support gateways to systems with higher
precisions using Open Server (and as I am buried in Open Server at the
moment I see a lot of the server side logic :-)

Michael
--
Michael Peppler / mpeppler AT peppler.org / http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler
mpeppler AT zetatools.com / ZetaTools, Inc / http://www.zetatools.com