freetds - Openoffice on Linux

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Anthony Buser" <ABuser AT UnConundrum.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Openoffice on Linux
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:08:24 -0400

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but does
anyone know if its possible to connect to MS SQL 2k using
freetds/unixodbc or freetds/jdbc in Linux OpenOffice? So far I've been
unsuccessfull. I'm trying to figure out if OpenOffice is at fault or
Freetds? Here's what I've found so far:

When I try to use a unixodbc/freetds datasource I can click on the
Tables tab and I get a listing that only lists "All Tables", but doesn't
actually show any of the tables. Interesting thing is the console shows
query = exec sp_tables "","" which is an invalid sql call. If it
instead runs just exec sp_tables and no "","" then it would return a
list of tables. So I figured thats not too bad, wonder if a starbasic
macro could still select from the database. So I wrote a simple macro,
however it doesn't work and gives the following error:
BASIC runtime error.
An exception occured
Type: com.sun.star.sdbc.SQLException
Message:[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Driver does not support this function.

Using freetds's jdbc driver, in the datasource window, when I click on
the Tables panel I get the following error:
Error while connecting to data source.
Not Implemented.

In the console I see the following:
inside getTables
catalog is |null|
schemaPattern is |null|
tableNamePattern is |%|
types[0] is |VIEW
types[1] is |TABLE
types[2] is |%
java.sql.SQLException: Not implemented
at
com.internetcds.jdbc.tds.DatabaseMetaData.NotImplemented(DatabaseMetaDat
a.java:326)
at
com.internetcds.jdbc.tds.DatabaseMetaData.isReadOnly(DatabaseMetaData.ja
va:2369)

I do not believe it is a problem with my freetds/unixodbc setup, because
I am able to connect to the database and select from it using unixodbc's
isql utility.

  • Openoffice on Linux, Anthony Buser, 07/15/2002